Art- Key Stage 3
AIMS OF THE CURRICULUM AREA
- Through the provision of engaging stimuli, and the opportunity to learn and practise creative skills using a wide range of materials and equipment, we aim to give students the confidence and ability to express their personal ideas through the production of both two and three dimensional items of Art.
- In Years 7 to 9 all members of a class work from common starting points, using a range of equipment and materials in order to develop skills. However students take part as individuals within the class and personal interpretation and their articulation of response is encouraged.
- The department is well resourced with a wide range of Art and Design materials and equipment. There are three main Art rooms and a specialist rooms for photography.
KEY STAGE 3 CURRICULUM OUTLINE
- Students gain experience and skills in Art and Design through participating in set projects in Years 7 to 9. Care is taken to ensure that projects are designed so that all students, regardless of ability, can take part at their own level.
- Projects ensure that by the end of Year 9, students will have worked in both two and three dimensions, using a range of media: painting and drawing, printing, digital media, and ceramics. Students will also be made aware of the work of renowned artists and designers as a part of every project.
AFTER KEY STAGE 3
- In Years 10 and 11, students taking Art and Design to examination level will be helped to develop their individual ideas for work to meet the necessary coursework requirements. Under the guidance of staff, students are able to choose to work in appropriate materials.
- Pupils studying Art and Design at GCSE, are entered for the AQA GCSE examination under whichever endorsement they have been studying.
- Students of all ages are encouraged to use the Art areas out of normal lesson times to continue with classwork or to produce further items. Specialist Art Clubs also run after school. At lunchtimes the department is open and staff are available for guidance.