The City of Peterborough Academy, in line with government directives, will expect pupils to attend school for at least 95% of the time. This equates to half a day's absence every two weeks. If a pupil is absent for a whole day their attendance for that week drops to 80%.
The Academy are not obliged to authorise any absences due to family holidays.
Parents have a responsibility for ensuring their child attends the Academy regularly and punctually. The
Academy expects that all parents communicate with them, either in writing or by telephone, giving a reason:
- In advance of any planned absence.
- Immediately following any unplanned absence.
- During any absence expected to last more than three days.
Parents should contact the Academy, in confidence, whenever a problem occurs that may affect their child's attendance. Regular attendance means arriving on time for the start of the Academy day. It is the parent's responsibility to ensure their child gets to the Academy on time.
Parents of pupils who are regularly late will be contacted so we can work together to rectify the situation. Where no improvement is made, the Education Welfare Service will be informed.
POOR ATTENDANCE = POOR ATTAINMENT!
Some absences which are considered avoidable will be left unauthorised by the City of Peterborough Academy. These include:
- Looking after a sick relative
- Minding the house or waiting for workmen/deliveries etc
- Packing or getting ready for a holiday or trip or collecting relatives from the airport/station
- Being on holiday
- Looking after brothers and sisters, including dropping them off at the Academy or nursery
- Helping with housework or family business
- Being unhappy or not getting on with others at the Academy