Design and Technology- Key Stage 3
DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY
AIMS OF THE CURRICULUM AREA
- To provide rich, stimulating and varied learning experiences for students so that they are able to problem solve, design and realise their designs with confidence.
- To develop a sound knowledge of designing and manufacturing including the uses of ICT.
- To understand and appreciate the impact of design and technological development upon society.
Whole class teaching
- Student centred learning
- Group work
- Problem solving
- Working independently
- Investigatory work
- A multi-material workshop
- Fully functioning kitchens
- Sewing machines
- Machine and Casting area
- Access to ICT facilities including Laser cutters and a 3D printer
- A variety of teacher prepared worksheets
- A range of text books covering all material areas at Key Stage 3, 4.
KEY STAGE 3 CURRICULUM OUTLINE
- Years 7 students undertake a foundation course in Product Design and Food and Nutrition.
- Year 8 rotate across three areas ; Resistant Materials, Food and Textiles
- Year 9 rotate across Food and Media
AFTER KEY STAGE 3
- Years 10 and 11 students may choose to study Level 1 / 2 Hospitality and catering
- GCSE support sessions
- At lunchtimes the department is open and staff are available for guidance. Students in the KS4 can also work after school on coursework by prior arrangement with staff.